And I Can Cook, Too

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Friday, June 15, 2007

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad




Undaunted by our “no penguin” experience in Victor Harbor, Di and I decided to go where we would not have to depend on wildlife for a wild life. We loaded the car back up and were off for the scenic Clare Valley and its famous Riesling Trail. The Riesling Trail is a 50K roundtrip biking path dotted with over 30 wineries, all featuring the prized wine of the region, Riesling. We arrived in Clare, and after turning down a lovely two bedroom cottage right on the trail complete with two queen beds, wood burning stove, and spa bath for $65 per night in favor of the Clare Valley Lodge several kilometers off the path complete with dingy bedspreads, cramped showers, and fuzzy television for $85 a night, we were off to rent our bikes. Moments later we were off on the trail and an afternoon of fresh air, pleasant exercise, and periodic tastings. Or so I thought. After ½ hour or so of row after row of grapes and rolling pastureland, I started to develop a thirst. I stopped at the next winery I came to and waited for Di, who was just slightly behind me on the trail. “Should we stop here?” I asked. “No,” Di responded, “I’d like to bike a little more.” Fair enough, I thought, and resumed pedaling. We made our way through sheep farms and patches of gum trees, and I determined that it was clearly time for a stop. After passing several unremarkable wineries, I came to one that was originally operated by Jesuits and featured, in addition to the cellar door, a small museum and church tour. “How about this one?” I asked when Di caught up. “No,” she said, “let’s just keep going.” Along we went, spying blue and yellow parrots and a few hopping creatures who were less surprised to see me than I was to see them. We were well passed the halfway point when I spied Annie’s Lane, a well-known label in these parts, looming on the horizon. I made my way to the gate and waited for Di. “No.” she said, “We’ll have Riesling with our dinner. I just want to stay on the bike.” On our way back to the bike hire I didn’t bother asking. With dinner (a trio of Kangaroo, Emu, and Venison medallions in a stunningly sour quandong sauce), I ordered a Mclaren Vale Shiraz.

We may be the first people in history to ride the Riesling Trail and completely omit the Riesling.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger joshua said…

    It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

    Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

    I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I do think - for 2 minutes even - that Joshua's invitation is spam!

    However, I support UNITING MANKIND

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    I am a broad cumplicity, and no one ever expects me.

    But back to your blog: you're a changed woman, Kristin!! 30km of cycling without a single "fuck this, I'm having a glass of wine"?? How the hell do you think you're ever going to be able to pull off the Medoc Marathon??

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    I completely believe Joshua when he says that he is not a spammer, and am looking forward to any surprise this cool stranger can offer me. I love the unexpected, and dream of a day when we have realy universal bloggs.

    Unfortunately for Joshua, I do not believe in UNITING MANKIND and see language not as an obstacle but as a delicious weapon. Because his spelling is worse than mine I can neither visit nor love him.

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger PinkJennyG said…

    But maybe Josh would get off the frickin' bike for a tasete of wine! Advise from your older and wiser friend: get a bike buddy who'll stop for a drink!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    Please see "two out of three ain't bad, part two" or "hey sugar, take a ride on the wild side."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home