And I Can Cook, Too

Friday, April 21, 2006

April 15, 2006

Shrimp Shack, Baby, Shrimp Shack

We were driving through the little town of Waimea, snuggled neatly between the ocean and beautiful Waimea Canyon, when Joe, a recovering vegetarian with a penchant for seafood, suggested we stop at the roadside Shrimp Station. As we approached the order counter, a woman who I presumed to be the owner of the Station announced that she was taking a break, leaving two children whom I presumed to be hers in charge. With some degree of trepidation I gave our order to the 14 year old, who in turn repeated it to the 12-year-old cook. As we waited for our meals I pondered the wisdom of letting the children play with the deep fat fryer.

My fear was completely dispelled a few minutes later when we were presented with platters of crunchy Coconut Shrimp, Thai Shrimp sautéed with lemongrass, basil, and coconut milk, and Shrimp Burgers yummy enough to make a grown man, well, groan. Served up with crispy fries and a ginger-papaya tartar sauce, they were delicious.

I say down with child labor laws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home