And I Can Cook, Too

Monday, April 17, 2006

April 6, 2006

Happy Birthday Dear Husband

Knowing that my head would explode if I continued to think about our move/not move crisis, I decided to focus on a more important issue at hand: my husbands birthday. Our money and partying resources depleted in DC, I decided simply to have a quiet dinner at home, followed by a few glasses of wine with friends. I dug through the freezer and pulled out a rack of veal and a bag of shelled edamame. A quick trip to the Safeway yielded potatoes and a couple of bottles of wine, and I was set.

I rubbed the veal with a paste of Dijon, breadcrumbs, parmesan, olive oil, and parsley. The potatoes got a bath of garlic, salt and pepper, and I plopped the edamame into a pot of salted water. It was all over but the shouting.

My husband arrived home, and while he changed out of his work clothes I poured martinis. We sipped and talked about our day. He sweetly understood when I explained that, between moving back in and jetting off to the mainland and trying to find a new house and jetting back and finding out we’d gone for no reason, I hadn’t time to find him a gift.

Fun conversation continued through dinner, and at 8 o’clock Kim, Big Red, and Jen arrived with more wine and gifts from their recent trip to Japan. Wine was quickly replaced with Sake, and conversation with “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” over photos of Tokyo. Jen proudly announced her intention to treat us to an authentic Japanese dinner the following night.

Anxious to catch up with each other after weeks apart, my husband and our friends stayed up well past my bedtime, and kept the fun going until the wee hours of the morning.

I think he had a really nice time.


Dijon Parmesan Crusted Roasted Rack of Veal

1 Rack of Veal, Frenched
½ c. Dijon Mustard
½ c. Parmesan Cheese, shredded
¼ c. Breadcrumbs, unseasoned
2-4 tbsp. Olive Oil, divided
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Rinse the rack of veal and pat dry. In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except the olive oil. The mixture will be dry and tight. Add the olive oil, one tbsp. at a time, until the mixture is both spreadable and will cling to the veal. Coat the veal rack with the Dijon mixture, leaving the bones clean. Wrap the bone section in aluminum foil.

On a roasting rack, cook the veal for 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 135. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Carve and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home