And I Can Cook, Too

Monday, April 16, 2007

Wendesday, April 4, 2007

Ke Aloha Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u

My fist “major” paper is due at the end of my first course, otherwise known as next week. Following advice to write not only what you know, but also what others have researched for you, I decided to write about the history of the luau and how different cultures have bastardized the tradition. The University had a surprisingly large Hawaiian library, and I figured I had it made in the shade. That was, until, I spent the day in Hawaii. For hours, I looked at pictures of Kaneohe Bay, the Koolaus, old Waikiki, and Volcano. When that was done, I read about the history of the islands starting with Kamehameha the Great right up to Ms. Lingle, complete with facts, legends, and superstitions. Lastly, I scoured a book about the difference between Hawaiian and local, and the development of local people, culture, and food. By the end of the day, I’d realized my classic blunder, the first of which, of course, is never get involved in a land war in Asia.

If the train ran directly to the airport I'd be on the next plane out.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    With a good Princess Bride reference, nothing can be THAT bad! Hang in there.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Think how good that first lau lau and chicken long rice will taste when you come visit!
    Good luck on your paper, Kristin!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home