And I Can Cook, Too

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Monday, April 2, 2007

The Jokes On Me

My dissertation topic has been green lighted, and in an effort to pull myself up by my bootstraps I have decided to begin research now. The shockingly broad subject that I am going to narrow down into a dissertation is the use of food as stock characters in comedy in film and television. The example I give to the people who stare at me in disbelief when I tell them this is my focus is the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy bakes the bread. If you've seen the show, you understand that the bread is clearly the antagonist in the scene. I am looking for other example of food playing the antagonist, protagonist, ingenue, narrator (?), vamp, ensemble, etc., in film and television.

I am accepting all suggestions for food in comedy as I am depressed and need a good laugh.

PS: My poke was voted the most impressive dish at the party.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    The "Be Our Guest" scene in "Beauty and the Beast"? OK, it's more cooking equipment doing the performing, but still...
    "Just one wafer thin mint"?
    "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" has to have something, as does "Like Water For Chocolate". Not really comedies, though.
    The oogie feast in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was definitely threatening...
    The chocolate bar in the swimming pool in Caddy Shack?
    I'll keep thinking.

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    Oh, you're good. You're very very good. Keep 'em coming...

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel's meat triffle on Friends, the talking M&Ms in commercials, dancing refreshments at the drive in movie.

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    I love it! I need it! More! More!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    Harold and Kumar go to White Castle is a food-oriented quest.

    I'm trying to think of one where food is the love interest (as opposed to sex toy, so don't even go there). Hm.

    Tampopo is another great food movie. Arguably the perfect noodles are the love interest.

    I haven't even seen American Pie, but I bet there's something in there you could use.

    In the classics, there's that Gilligan's Island episode where Gilligan gets three wishes, and blows the first two on ice cream...

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Google food in movies and thousands of entries come up .First is a list from amazon with more than a dozen.Not listed is Mostly Martha about a Cook who has to raise her sisters child and uses food to express the meaning of life to a shrink.Sarah's Mom

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    The Big Night?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home