And I Can Cook, Too

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me

I decided it was time to pull myself out of my funk. Rather than another quiet dinner at home, I decided to bike to one of the beachside restaurants along the coast, watch the sunset, and enjoy a romantic dinner alone. At six o’clock I braided my hair (better to weather the bike helmet), donned said helmet, hoped on the bike, and was off. Fifteen minutes later I was locking up at The Palais, a pub/nightclub so recently turned restaurant that smoke still hung in the air. There was one outdoor table left, and I got it. I sipped a local Riesling (quite delicious and dry here unlike some of the sweeter Riesling’s I’ve had in the States), and watch a stunning sunset over the water. Once the sun set, I ordered my dinner. I had resigned myself to the Pizza Margarita, when suddenly the night’s special, Parmesan-Herb crusted Barramundi (“fish with big scales” in Aboriginal dialect), with side salad and chips caught my eye. I switched gears and ordered the fish. I sipped a second Riesling (I’m not kidding it’s really good), and watched Filet Mignon topped with Prawns in Sherry Cream Sauce, Mixed Seafood Pie in Puff Pastry, and what was clearly Coopers Battered Butterfish and Chips walk by on their way to other tables. (What can I say; I was having a romantic dinner alone. I had a lot of time to read the menu) Finally, my dinner arrived…much to my disappointment. Rather than the light, pan-fried fish with delicate herb crusting I had so looked forward to, I got a deep-fried (in what I overwhelmingly suspected to be old oil) slightly dried fish, chips that, while passable, were no where near as good as the Larg’s Pier Snack Kiosk, and a salad consisting of little more then lettuce and shredded carrot (they don’t seem to offer a variety of salad dressings in Australia but I’ll save that for another time). Ah, well, live and learn.

Despite my unfortunate dinner, on the way home I had two thoughts: I really like being able to bike to my supper and, how do I turn on the little light that’s on the handlebars of my bike?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home