And I Can Cook, Too

Sunday, October 29, 2006

June 12, 2006

The Midwest is a Good Place to be From

Having grown up in Ohio, I’ve had more than my fair share of “cream of” soup inspired casserole dishes. Having spent the rest of my life elsewhere, I’ve managed to forget why I don’t do that anymore.

My husband and I arrived in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, to visit family and friends whom we hadn’t seen in years. We had accepted a dinner invitation and were soon staring at what suspiciously resemble fried onions from a can. As we ate and caught up with old friends, I also took a little trip down culinary memory lane.

Helping with the dinner dishes I couldn’t help but notice a recipe card sitting on the counter.

Chicken-Spaghetti Casserole

1 cup cooked, diced, chicken breast
1 cup cooked, chopped spaghetti
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup fried onions from a can
2 tbsp butter, divided

Place 1 tbsp of butter into a sauté pan and place it over medium heat. Add the onions of celery, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. In a bowl, combine the chicken, spaghetti, mayonnaise, cooked onion and celery, and the soup. Stir to blend. Using the 2nd tbsp of butter, generously butter the inside of a baking dish. Add the chicken mixture and evenly distribute. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and top with the fried onions from a can. Place in a 350-degree oven and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve.

Our friends and family in Oshkosh think I eat like a bird.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What is the mayo for? What does it do that the creamo soup can't?

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    It compensates for the celery, which might actually contain nutrients.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't think nutrients were supposed to be included in food from the Midwest. Could someone research that please? Oh, but we didn't hear what was served to wash this classic carb special down and that might have made all the difference! Cheap wine, anyone?

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jristen,My cousins(now99+)favorite recipe for jazzing up her salmom cakes is one can of cream of mushroom soup,one jar and liquid fro a jar of pimentos and two chopped hard boiled eggs. i can not bring myself yo reveal the salmon cake receipe-good micwest cooking is hard to find!Saeag;s Mom

     
  • At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    again, apologies for my mother's deplorable typing -- she's drunk.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sarah-not drunk -no spell check. Kristen should post glady's receipe -sheis living to 100 and this may be what did it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home