And I Can Cook, Too

Thursday, May 04, 2006

April 26, 2006

Rachael Ray Ain’t Got Nothin’ on K

As a final project for a class I’d been taking, I decided to give a speech about making a cheap easy dinner while making the dinner in front of the class. The only catch was the seven-minute time limit. “Make a curry,” Kim said, as though she made seven-minute meals all the time. “With couscous. And wilted spinach. It’ll be easy.” I hate Kim.

Several rounds of spattered curry, flying spinach leaves, over-the-time-limit rehearsals later, I arrived for class weighted down a portable stove, microwave, frying pans, tupperwares full of ingredients, and a bus tub that sufficed as the kitchen sink. I set up, turned on my stove, and began to speak. And cook.

While my pan was heating, I put water in the microwave. Then I sliced pork and onions and threw them in the pan with a little oil. While that was going, I added 1 tbsp. of curry paste and 1 cup of coconut milk to the pan, and stirred until it was completely blended. Then I removed the water from the microwave, added it to couscous, and covered the bowl. While it was steeping, I checked the curry for flavor and added salt, sugar, and pepper. While waiting for the curry to finish, I cut my lemon. I removed the curry from the burner and replaced it with a clean pan. I tossed in spinach and the juice squeezed from my lemon. While the spinach wilted, I plated the couscous and curry. I added the spinach to the plate, and dinner was was done. So was my speech. My time? 7 minutes, 5 seconds. My grade? A. I love Kim.


Pork in Red Curry with Onions and Chinese Peas
Couscous
Wilted Baby Spinach with Lemon Juice


Recipes

2 Tbsp. Red Curry Paste
1 12oz can Coconut Milk
¾ c. Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
6 oz. Chinese Peas
8 oz. Pork Loin, thinly sliced
Salt, Pepper, Sugar to taste
Cooking oil or spray

Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, and pork, and sauté for a minute or two. Add the curry paste and coconut milk, stir to blend, and bring to a boil. Add the peas, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through. Taste for seasoning, add salt, pepper, or sugar if necessary.

1/3 c. Couscous
1/2 c. Water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring the water to a boil. In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the couscous. Cover, and allow sitting for 5 minutes. Open and fluff the couscous with a fork. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

4 oz. Baby Spinach
Squeeze Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add the lemon juice. Add the spinach and sauté until the spinach is just starting to wilt, about 45 seconds. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOLOL This is such a fun blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home