And I Can Cook, Too

Friday, February 24, 2006

Farewell, Aloha
Feb. 20, 2006
Hawaii’s a great place to visit, but it can be a tough place to live. I’ve always a love-hate relationship with it. I love the beauty, the weather, my ocean-front home, my ocean-front apartment, wearing flowers in my hair, my fabulous crew of friends, and, well, jetting off to Maui for the weekend. But I have struggled with the 6000 mile distance from my family, the small town mentality, the stigma of being a “suckin’ haole” (no good white person), and the lack of theatre, music, and, well, restaurants. I’ve hoped to move for years, and if I divorce, I will. My husband’s job is the reason we’ve been here so long.

This week my husband called from a business trip on the mainland with the announcement that his job position is being re-located to the East Coast by the end of 2006. Suddenly, marriage or not, moving back to the mainland is no longer just a “theoretically great” idea. Faced with my new reality, I have to ask myself: how do I really feel about leaving Hawaii?

I think I’ll have a Mai Tai.

Trader Vic’s Original Mai Tai

1 ounce light rum
1 ounce gold rum
1/2 ounce orange curaçao
1/2 ounce Orgeat (Almond Syrup)
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1 ounce dark rum

Shake all but the dark rum with ice. Strain into old-fashioned glass. Top with the dark rum. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really REALLY love this blog.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    checking out the blog for the first time...really FAB, funny, well-written...and informative! the recipes are excellent...BRAVA!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    With the speed of the mind of the blogger, we're all on our way to the next entree or cocktail!
    Hurrah!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel rather insulted being described as having a "small town mentality" I really love these dead on stereotypes. I guess my two master degrees and one bachelors doesn't qualify me as an intelligent person.

    By the way I'm part Caucasian and live in Hawaii, I definately do not feel like people treat me like a Haoli.

    But insult aside, great blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home