And I Can Cook, Too

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

July 24, 2007

Nacho Best Nachos

Anyone who has been paying attention knows that Mexican food is not one of the things that makes Australia great. Along with laulau and a decent hamburger, it was one of my top three food cravings that I hoped to fix in the U.S. I arrived in Cape May - tired, disheveled, and slightly drugged up - just in time for dinner, and we were off to Carneys, one of the Capes most popular joints. The most Mexican thing I could find on the menu (okok I was too much of a wreck to see past the appetizers) were Nachos, and I decided that beach side pub food had to be better Mexican than anything I could get in Oz. Our food arrived, and the waitress set a plate of naked tortilla chips in front of me. "Are these my nachos?" I inquired. "Yep." she informed me. "We serve the topping separate from the chips, so everyone can scoop what they want." With that she placed on the table a dish on fonduy looking beans and cheese. I grabbed a chip and dug in. It was like that spinach or artichoke dip you see on menus all over the country, but with salsa. Sigh. At least it didn't have lentils.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Mimi said…

    My favorite nachos of all time are served in the skeevy bar of the skeeviest hotel in allentown. The toppings are piled so high one must request extra chips, for the originals have been crushed in a collapse of cheese and beans. So good... but then, I've never eaten them sober.
    And to dispell Allentown folklore: The Chichen Lounge nachos are a travesty. Doritoes with olives. Ew.

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    Name of said hotel? One never knows when one will end up in Allentown...

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Mimi said…

    Ironically it's the Stirling, same as Reading's most posh hotel

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    So posh it inspires buxom young women to remove their bras an encourage everyone else in the room to put them on!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home