And I Can Cook, Too

Friday, July 21, 2006

May 16, 2006

Symphony Ball

Tux and ball gown donned, my husband and I set off for the Honolulu Symphony Ball and a night of dining, dancing, and free champagne. Unwilling to repeat the unexpected purchase of a six foot by six foot coffee cup from the previous year, we had carefully perused the auction catalog prior to leaving home and promptly left it on the dining room table. We arrived at the convention center to discover a new auction system. Rather than bid sheets and pencils, the symphony was using an electronic bidding system into which you swiped a bidding card. Several glasses of champagne in, I came to the conclusion that this new bidding concept was crushing the auction’s spirit generally encouraged by being able to see who your bidding competition is. In an effort to turn the evening around, I opened the bids on several lonely items, confident that this would inspire those around me to up the bids.

Dinner was served, and we were treated to a lovely poached lobster tail with beaurre rouge, fingering potatoes and roasted asparagus. During the concert portion of the evening, my husband and I discussed our bids, and determined that we were content to be outbid on everything. We’d done our part.

Have I mentioned that I’ve always wanted a piano?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank god you're blogging again!

    Did you *really* win a piano???

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah -you are back! Sarah's Mom

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was getting really cranky without your blog. Thanks for coming back.(Randy thanks you too!)

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    About bloody time! You've got some catching up to do, missy...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home