And I Can Cook, Too

Friday, March 16, 2007

Saturday, March 17, 2006

You Should Have What I'm Having

I have just consumed what was undoubtedly the very best fish and chips the good lord (as you do or don't believe him or her to exist) (or not) has deemed to bestow upon me. The dog and I were on the beach, and we passed the Larg's Bay Snack Kiosk, something we Americans would call the snack bar. As I walked by the door, I got a whiff of the best fry smell I've ever whiffed. Cashless and pretending that I'm trying to eat right, I walked right on by and straight home. Once home, however, I couldn't get the smell out of my mind. It haunted me. Still pretending that I was going to make a healthy dinner, I checked out the contents of my fridge. Two minutes later I was on the bike and back at the beach. Under the advisement of the very charming snack shop girl, I ordered a small butterfish and chips dinner with salt. As I peddled home, the aroma taunted me from the dinner box nestled in my bike basket. Home, I threw the fish and chips in a warm oven to hold them while I quickly washed my day off in the shower. Once in my pj's, I put my dinner back in its box and curled up on the couch. I took my first bite. A split second later I moaned with delight as my teeth crunched through the delicate tempura-like batter and encountered fresh, sweet, creamy butterfish that somehow managed to be light, and, well, buttery, at the same time. The finishing salt worked its magic and created a perfect balance of flavors. I then tried the chips. I was not disappointed. They also had the perfect crunch followed by fresh flavor, and tasted like they'd been the beneficiary of virgin oil. My dinner was amazing. I may have to go touch myself.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hee. So glad you're eating again.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for reminding us about your mailing address, Ms. K -- sounds like you're having a fantastic time!

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kristin - the fish and chips lived up to their reputation!! you are now officially and formally a true Largs Bayian resident!! Also, I have lost your email address off my account - can you email me??!
    Big hugs from the Two Skinny Lesbians (TSL) at the start of the Great Ocean Road!! xxxxxx

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Kim Binsted said…

    Dammit. Now I have a craving. Does anyone know where to get decent fish and chips in Hawaii??

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Kristin Van Bodegraven said…

    No. No one does. But I do know where to tell you to get the best Buffalo Wings on the island. The Shack, in Enchanted Lakes. I kid you not. The fish is eh, but the Buffalo Wings are do die for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home