And I Can Cook, Too

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day

Today was the first day of lecture, and the official start of my Le Cordon Bleu Master’s of Gastronomy.

Brillat-Savarin said “Animals feed; man eats; only the intelligent man knows how to eat.”
Auguste Escoffier said “I have ‘sown’ two thousand chefs all around the world…Think of them as so many seeds planted in virgin soil. France is today reaping the fruits.”
Gault and Millau said “Gastronomy was invented by pedants who dreamed of being taken seriously.”

Discuss amongst yourselves.

I did something today that I have not done in over 25 years. I rode a bicycle. Carol offered me the use of her bike to take on the exercise path on the beach, and although I stopped riding bikes back when I had such terrible growing pains some days it was hard to walk, I decided that Australia Kristin might just enjoy a ride. I loved it! I biked all the way down to the million dollar houses and back again – I rode for over an hour, and had the time of my life! Who knew? I was so proud of me that I celebrated by rubbing Australian blue pumpkin with olive oil, sage, thyme, salt and pepper, sprinkling it with a little brown sugar, baking it till golden, stuffing it with blue cheese, havarti, and homemade bread crumbs, plopping it back in the oven until the cheese was melted and bubbly, and eating it for dinner. It was a gastronomic delight, and I am totally serious when I say that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home