And I Can Cook, Too

Saturday, January 13, 2007

July 11, 2006

Flattery Will Get Me Fish


With my husband off at the Microsoft World Wide Conference, I was left with moral dilemma: where in Boston to treat myself to lunch? The obvious answer was the Ye Olde Union Oyster house, touted the oldest restaurant in the city. I arrived at the restaurant and immediately discovered the perfect place to sit: the oval bar in the front of the restaurant with a view of the window that allowed me to people watch over my lunch. Tending bar were Jimmy and Donny, or rather, “Jammy” and “Dahnny”. Both were good Irish boys from the south side of the city and boy were they happy to see my red flowing locks waltz in and sit at their bar. Within moments I had complimentary “tastings” of clam chowder, shrimp cocktail, and clams on the half shell. As I happily enjoyed the oysters on the half I’d actually ordered, Jammy paraded by with a live, five-pound Maine lobster. I was so impressed with the size of the beast that I was more than willing to overlook the possibility that Jammy might be compensating for something. Over beautiful fish and chips I enjoyed such flatteries as “Here you go, beautiful”, “It would never rain in this city if we had girls like you here”, and “Here. Have another beer. On me.”

It was the best lunch I’d had in months. Jammy and Dahnny, I salute you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home